Sunday, May 13, 2007

Super Mom!

Super Mom! I mowed the lawn*, I whacked the weeds, I fed the kids, I even called the step-mom and the soon-to-be-X-Mother-in-law. I made a card for my own Mom; she cried. Over all, a damn good mother's day.

In addition to the supermom list, I had a beer with the neighbors at the bottom of the hill and adopted two kittens from the neighbors at the top of the hill. This brings the feline count in the house to four, humans three. There are seven fish , but I've decided that they will be going with the s2bx, he doesn't know yet.

My goal for tomorrow - stand back - I'm going to ride the bike to work, and when I get home I will sort out the books piled all over the floor. This is a side effect of the split. We had to divide up bookshelves, leaving many many books shelfless.

*a note about the mowing. A good friend suggested that I mow in random, inefficient patterns, leaving artful little tufts of unmown grass. This is in hopes of watching the s2bx head spin off and smoke come out the ears. As I was meandering around the yard with the mower, I felt a little light in my step, a joy, a kind of freedom I hadn't known mowing could engender. I realized that this was, in fact, the first time I had mowed when I wasn't dreading the post mowing dressing down. In the past, if I mowed, there was a conversation that went something like "I don't understand what you were thinking when you mowed under the pine tree. I like to mow that area after I do the level spots. When you mow, you really should adjust the height of the mower when you begin the part by the crab apple. I never use the whole swath of the mower, you need to just cut at the mid point of the previous pass" My response was always - "could you just say thanks for mowing?" To which the response was "I thought if you were going to do it, you'd want to do it right." These exchanges led to me NOT EVER mowing, because I obviously couldn't do it right. Today, I just cut the grass. It wasn't art, it wasn't engineering, and I really really enjoyed it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YAY for Super Mom!!

I hope you do not mind if I comment again - but I really enjoy your writing style. Very easy to read - articulate - and fun!

Haha! Lawn mowing as an expression of freedom!

For myself - I don't much care how the yard is done when I set the boys to it - I just ask that they try to NOT hit any rocks.

I laughed at your recital of the lecture you used to receive... Sheesh! Do peopleeven LISTEN tothemselves? Hrrmmm - obviously not...

Good luck withtoday - See you around!

Best,

Latro