Thursday, May 10, 2007

the answer is: Live out Loud

My pubescent daughter number 1 is feeling blue. Last night, after the Jon Stewart re-run, she cuddled up to me and said "I wonder if anyone, anywhere, is ever going to want to flirt with me. Sometimes I lay in bed and get afraid that no one will ever want to be my boyfriend." I held her, and said "When you like yourself, and live life out loud, someone will want to be your boyfriend."

Six am, cats are batting me in the face, daughter number 2 is climbing up on the counter to get her own breakfast and...it's one of THOSE mornings. When you wake up feeling like you already failed something. Nothing in the house to put in the lunch boxes. There is no piece of clothing that will make you feel good. Ripped jeans aren't an option because you actually have meetings with "people" today. A skirt would be comfortable, but you haven't shaved your legs, and there isn't a shirt in your house that is going to hide the things that you want to hide. It's generally a day when you (and by you, I mean me) feel like there is no way anyone is ever going to want to flirt with you.

Adolescence and middle age sound very much the same today. I need to try and remember how to live life out loud.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Funny how we humans NEED to flirt - like it is hard coded into our very essence. I think a major mystery of our existence would be unraveled if we cold just figure that one out...

Hope someone flirts with you soon!

Oh yes - Happy Mothers Day!!

Latro