Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Couples Counseling

OK, so you've probably heard the phrase "Give 'em enough rope and they'll hang themselves"? Need I say more? My spouse thought he had me a teed up for a doosey of a swing on Monday morning with "our" therapist. He launched right in with...."I'm not comfortable with the fact that she's not seeing her therapist more. She was so screwed up six weeks ago, how can she be so functional now?" and he went on. In fact he went off. Having spent the last 20 years with the guy, I had an inkling that this was coming. I just watched and listened. Our therapist was visably disturbed by the diatraub. When he finally wound down he looked right at her and said "I'm right aren't I? She can't be OK?" she adjusted her jacket and was actually speachless. Her response? "I'm not going to answer that question. What I'd like to do is try and understand what has brought about all this anxiety for you?" Hmmmm....this was definately NOT the answer he was expecting.
I won't continue to regurgitate the session. Just know in your heart that it was awesome. He became more irrational, she became more alarmed, and I sipped my coffee and revelled in the fact that I wasn't going to throw him a life vest, I wasn't going to interperate for him, I have done that for long enough.
When I walked out of the office I had to surpress my smile. I had witnessed the car crash and I had stayed on the side lines. It was the new me. I hadn't gotten sucked into the fray. It felt great. The underscoring for the entire morning was KT Tunstall's "Suddenly I See" - and boy did it look good.

No comments: