Saturday, August 11, 2007

rain in edinburgh

Walking in the rain. the rain. the rain. I've always been told about the UK rain, never understood what it meant to have a constant stream of drizzle until today. At home we have storms, the come crashing down and they move on, more may follow, but always in deluge/refuge cycles.

Melancholy everywhere. My goal? Be silly, be happy, be awake. Notice things again. Perhaps the rain, perhaps the bright colored umbrellas, perhaps only the way my eyes are drawn to certain people and not others.

Music informs so much of what I feel. This morning (at the outragously early hour of 8:30) I walked to a meeting, in the grey, listening to Audioslave on my ipod. It changes everything to have a soundtrack. Now, just now, as I sit in the pub, there is a song - I don't need or want to name it, but it evokes heart break and unfulfilled aching to be with someone from the past. A poem I recently read, something about an oaisis from a desolate dryness...It evokes this same feeling of craving something that you will not allow yourself to believe in.

Being away from my beautiful, vibrant, silly, and proud girls has added to my lack of grasp on the light and lyrical aspects of life.

I'm afraid that I've adopted an akward lilt to the cadence of my voice. Too much time absorbing the voices of the locals. I know in my soul that it sounds quite absurd, if I weren't so embarassed to be American, it might be easier to relax into my own speech pattern.

I'll be flying home tomorrow, a long day of travel, via London Heathrow, never been there. Home with my girls for 6 days, and then back to Scotland for another week.

4 comments:

Froog said...

The poem - did you mean this one of mine?

If so, then - gosh, you have explored a long way back into the archive!

Froog said...

I miss rain.

It's raining today in Beijing actually... but it's rarely as refreshing as the rain in Scotland.

Another reference for you - have you read this one yet? A reminiscence from my Barstool Blues blog about drinking in a bar in Edinburgh during the Festival, and having painful memories suddenly revived by a song on the jukebox. It was a place called Doctors, down by Bristo Square. Do you know it?

Anonymous said...

yours was the poem, just re-read it, and the Waits pasteche, and the Abisinthe Drinker. This collection is enough to drive me back to bed in a blissful melancholy

Froog said...

So, you have a thing against commenting on my blog????