Friday, August 10, 2007

to talk

I'm not sure weather it is being in the UK, being away from my kids, or being newly liberated, but conversation has been a delightful past time. In fact, I have discovered that simply sitting and talking about science, the theory of relativity, the nature of genetics (yes that WAS a pun) or even reminiscing about the 80's hardcore scene in NYC, this has been a banner week for stimulating conversation. I had forgotten, I mean genuinely forgotten what a blessing it is to simply talk. Why so significant? I suspect it is because there is such a part of conversation that has been calculated for me over the past few years. What was OK, what was too "smart" what was not smart enough. Somehow, this week, I have indulged in speaking my mind without a fear of appearing "less than" some ideal I had of myself.

It has meant asking questions as they pop into my head, foolish questions that help me get to know a person a little bit. It has also meant debating e=mc2 with a significant scientist, over a pint in a pub of course, because this is Edinburgh, and every good conversation I have will need to be over a pint, in a pub.

There have been stimulating conversations about my work as well, and the work of others. Perhaps it is the nature of the fringe festival. We are all here to experience and experiment - so conversation is required to make sure we can touch base with reality every once in awhile.

It is friday night, and I had the distinct pleasure of sharing sabbat with an old friend and his family in his flat here in Scotland. It led to conversations about the value of slowing down, setting aside time to simply converse, without goals, obligations and duties. I can't begin to claim an understanding of the Jewish faith, but I can tell you that the idea of choosing not to be productive in the material sense for 24 hours each week, it is mind bending in it's simplicity and it's value.

1 comment:

Froog said...

A few years ago I was dating an American Jewish girl (who had converted to Buddhism; more holidays that way [a 'JewBu' - we had to have a name for it]). I invoked the religious imperative of shabbat to duck out of giving a Friday evening lecture at my (Chinese) University.... when all I really wanted to do was have a cosy evening in, and not work.